I have been thinking about making a pair of socks for Halloween. This year, I actually don't have to work on Halloween. So I bought the yarn when I was visiting SF area last week. Then the poem "Nevermore" by Edgar Allen Poe came to mind. So I came up with the Raven, of course. Then after some thinking back and forth, I decided to do an opened door onto an empty hallway.
For the past years, I have not been able to enjoy Halloween, partly because I had to work and living in a vacation town where half of the houses around us stood empty most of the time for being vacation homes. There is no trick or treating here. very sad.
This pair of socks hopefully will bring me some of the fun of Halloween.
Getting ready for the Halloween
Yarn: Cascade Heritage Color 5601 (Black), 5646 (Orange)
Needles: US #2 (I used 2 circulars)
Gauge: 36 sts x 40 rows = 4"x4" in colorwork and knit in round.
Use Black yarn and CO 72 sts and dvided them among 2 circular needles (36 sts on each Needle.)
Work 9 rounds of Chart A for cuff.
- Round 1, 2, 8 & 9: use only black, (k2, p1) repeat to end
- Round 3-7: (k2 in orange, p1 in black)
- For right leg work chart B and begin at the indicated st (lower right corner,) finish all 36 sts of chart on first needle, and repeat on second needle. Work all 40 rows.
- For right leg work chart C and begin at the indicated st (lower right corner,) finish all 36 sts of chart on first needle, and repeat on second needle. Work all 40 rows.
- Work only with the 36 sts on first needle and work back and forth.
- Begin Chart D for heel and work total 17 rows, end with RS row.
- Work only with black yarn and only the sts on the first needle.
- Row 1 (WS): sl 1, p20, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 2 (RS): sl 1, k7, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 3 (WS): sl 1, p to 1 st before gap, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 4 (RS): sl 1, k to 1 st before gap, ssk, k1, turn.
- Repeat row 3 and 4 until all sts are worked, end with RS row (22 sts remained.)
Gausset and Foot:
- Pick U 13 sts on either side of the Heel Flap on the same needle as heel flap (first needle) - total 48 sts.
- To indicate the beginning of the round, place a marker between the last st on heel turn and the first pick up st on the left of the heel as you're looking at it. (Note that the beginning of the round begins on the 36th st of the first needle.)
- Round 1: Begin as indicated on Chart E for foot, work to the end of round.
- Round 2: Work in est patt to last 3 sts on first needle (that holds the heel and the pick up sts), k2 tog in black, k1 in orange, continue in est patt 'till the end of second needle. For the first 3 sts on the first needle, k1 in orange, ssk in black, work in est patt 'till the marker (end of round.)
- Round 3: Work even in est patt (k all black sts from previous round black, and all orange sts orange.)
- Repeat round 2 and 3 until 72 sts remained (36 sts on each needle.)
- Work only round 3 until 2" from the tip of toes.
- Work only with black yarn.
- Round 1: k all sts
- Round 2: k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts of the first needle, k2tog, k1, k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts of the second needle, k2tog, k1.
- Rep last 2 rounds 4 more times (52 sts)
- Rep only round 2 until 10 sts remained.
- Cut Yarn and leave a 12" tail.
- Graft sts together using Kirchner sts.
- Weave in ends.