Monday, December 23, 2013

Sewing For the Holiday

For the first time ever, mom requested a knitted hat as Christmas present.
When mom saw my Foliage hat  on Thanksgiving, she asked me to make her one, in purple.  I agreed.  This is rather interesting as mom does not have the taste for things handmade.  In fact, most of my family don't care much for handmade items.  We're a practical bunch, not really sentimental type.

Mom also asked for a liner to go with it as the Foliage is cute but it's lacy, so not much in terms of warmth.

I knitted the Foliage with pattern from Knitty using Plymouth royal Llama I had in stash.  After that I sew up a liner using microfleece.



Sewing up the liner was so quick using my serger  and it got me thinking about sewing quick accessories for the family.  Why not?  I'm too broke to get them anything they'll truly find useful, so I might as well sew something, which is quick and nothing lost if no one cares for them... knitting is a different story.

I ventured to make some hats.  I'd never sewn any hats before, nor was I interested in getting a hat pattern. After first 2 failed attempts, I was able to get a good template going with nice fit and decent style, at least on my head. I assumed everyone in my family has similar head size as I do...

I used serger for everything except top stitching part.  LOVE that serger.  Wool blend for the shell and microfleece for all linings.  Unlike the knitted Foliage hat where lining is unattached to the hat, all the shells of the hats are sewn to the linings.

Here they are...
For the ladies of the family

added brim for this one using iron-on interfacing for a little structure






And for the guys...




a cowl  too


And something extra..

Well, time to wrap up the gifts.

I wish you all a warm holiday and some great food and great time with family.

1 comment:

  1. What gorgeous presents you made your family. I hope they love them as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete