Thursday, May 22, 2014

Say What


Because I love this skirt, because I want to enjoy my summer without running test knit of multiple sizes and dealing with deadlines, because not many knitters like knitting skirts and I want to get more people to knit skirts, because sometimes I'm just so bored with all rules and proprieties of publishing a pattern, and because I just want to share this pattern, because all the becauses...

You can click the link for a free PDF file of the pattern
pattern updated 8/4/2014

Disclaimer: It's an underground pattern, NOT test knitted, NOT tech edited, NOT listed on Ravelry.

sizes: - 26, 28, 31, 33, 36, 37, 39, 42. sizes are based on waist measurements before encasing elastic
yarn - DK weight, rest of info are in pattern

_________________________

The skirt is called "Say What?" The weather was in the 70s last week. I was jogging in my shorts and short sleeves on the trails behind the house. I was so happy knitting this skirt for the summer and getting ready for other summer sewing.  Then BAM! 2 days ago I woke up to 4 inches of snow. I'm not complaining as we sorely need any moisture we can get. According to the forecast, we will be back up in the 70s next week. Like I said it again and again, that's Tahoe for ya.


I finished the skirt last week, but I was too lazy to take photos. Last night I made the tee-shirt to go with it. OK, I just lied here. It was made to go with 2 pair of pants I just sewed up (to be blogged next time.)  But it seemed to go well with the skirt too, I think.

The yarn I used was Elann Limited Edition Micro Cotton, a cotton and microfiber blend.  Gotta love the fact that I was able to just toss the skirt into dryer and no significant shrinkage at all.  I made it with a diagonal element because I knew I wanted a cargo pocket skirt, so I thought a diagonal element would go well with it. Frankly, I'd be so bored if I just knit another plain skirt. I also the graduate stripes of seed stitch on upper section. The skirt was knitted top-down. I really didn't want to hem the lower edge, so I used my non-curling stockinette stitch for the bottom edge. 

Sewing the tee shirt was quick and easy. I bought the fabric at Mills end for $3/yard about a month ago.  I knew I wanted the sleeves to be kimono style (continuing from body) rather than separately sewn on sleeves, both for the look and for the easiness. It took about 15 minutes to draft the pattern, the front and the back are identical. Then the shirt was made in no time. the neck edge was just serged edge then folded over and top stitching.  I got lazy that I didn't even want to draft the facing for the neck edge.  Love the tee shirt. Paul said I look like a Gondolier wearing it. Hehe, we joked that I should wear this shirt and go work at the Gondola at Heavenly ski resort.  It's still a gondola.  Or maybe I can wear it next time I go stand up paddling.  I did stand up paddle last summer. I really, really enjoyed it.  Too bad the prices are way out of my reach, it sure makes snowboard seems affordable. 

Now I am just rubbing my hands waiting anxiously for the weather to warm up again.  




Yarn: Elann Limited Edition Micro Cotton, 7 balls (994 yards).
Needles: US 2 and 4
Gauge: 22 sts x 32 rows = 4"x4" using US #4 needles
Size: 33 waist band before elastic insert.




3 comments:

  1. It is a very beautyfull skirt you made. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it fits you vey well and I love the color
    thank you for the pattern Connie, I'll tell it on my french forum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your skirt! Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete