Friday, August 15, 2014

Wandering in the Souk


Yarn:  Cascade Pure Alpaca, color 3029 Turquoise.
Needles:  US #3, and #4 

When I first saw the yarn, I totally fell in love with the color and the softness of alpaca.  (Sadly the photos are not capturing the depth and the richness of the color.)  I started knitting it for another design but I wasn't happy with the combination,.Then the yarn just sat there waiting for the right design.

In June, I took out the yarn, and knew it wanted a somewhat delicate design of cables and lace  The alpaca was not exactly high stitch definition yarn to get the relief of the cables. But I didn't care, I wanted the softer effect.



I used top down, round yoke construction for this sweater. It turned out to be sort of  a sister to Juno with one basic design difference, the motif started immediately after neck band ribbing, whereas in Juno, each motif sat distinctly separated from each other and from the ribbing.

I used needle #3 for ribbing and #4 for body.  The neckband stretched out during block, partly due to the fact that alpaca stretches more easily.  If I were to re-knit it, I may use size #2 for ribbing..
Size 39 was what I knitted, and I think I could use one size smaller, not completely sure, but also I like my sweaters a bit on the loose side.  

I named it Wandering in the Souk, simply because I often dream of visiting Morocco again, especially Marrekech and the desert, so the design, the name. 







2 comments: